Pages

February 8, 2010

St. Valentine's Day

Saint Valentine’s Day is coming soon.  In most countries, people  send flowers, candies or greeting cards to show their love and affection to their love ones.  But in Japane, it has a quite different meaning.

According to the Japanese custom, February 14 seems to be a day only for couples.  I would say it is rather stupid.  Why do I have to be thought as the pathetic because of not having someone to spend with on that day?  Just leave me alone!

Here is one silly Japanese custom, that is, Valentine's Day is only for girls, not for boys. A girl gives chocolates to a boy whom she is falling love with.  And the boy, if he likes her, he would send her some sweets on the 14th of March called “White Day”.  That is definitely chocolate companies’ conspiracies.



Another foolish thing is that female office workers give chocolates to their co-workers or bosses even though they don’t have any feelings to them.  It might be a good chance to show their gratitude if they really feel so, but I can tell that most female workers do it just as a diplomatic gesture.  It is a kind of “obligation”.  I really don’t like this Japanese style of Valentine’s Day.  It is ridiculous to send chocolates to someone who I don’t really care about.  I would rather like to eat it myself!! (I am a chocolate-lover.)

For a long time, I had ignored and pretended that the 14th of February is just one of ordinary days.  But now, it becomes a little bit different.
As thinking about the original meaning of Valentine’s Day, it sounds sweet to express my gratitude to people I care about.  Everything that happened to me has its meaning, and so, everyone whom I have met is so precious to me.

To my friends; thanks for making my life fun and colorful.  To my parents; thank you for raising me.  To my co-workers; thank you for helping me all the time.  To my English teachers; thank you for being so patient to teach me English, I really appreciate it.
And this is the first time in my life to say thank you to my biological mom and dad. “Thank you for giving me a chance to live. I really feel that I am glad to have been born into this world.”