Pages

December 3, 2011

An Irreplaceable Moment

I wrote this diary over a year ago but just left it in draft. This is my another unforgettable memory of trip to Manila. And now I have decided to post it so that I can remember this wonderful memory everlastingly.


2010.9.26

What is the most valuable thing about travel?  There are a lot of aspects to make our travel memorable, like seeing nature, historical things or architectures, having local foods, and meeting different kinds of people.  And the last one is my most favorite part.  

That was the fourth day of my stay in Manila, my English teacher showed me around Intramurous in Manila, which was a peaceful memory.  After that my teacher's friend joined us, and thus the tour of a joyful memory started. My teacher introduced him to me as his best friend.  People usually want to be friends with the person who really understands them, so no wonder that my teacher's friend is a friendly, smart and amiable person like his best friend. 

After having lunch near Manila Bay, we went to National Museum of the Philippines. To be honest, I did not imagine the museum was so big until I went there, but I found that I was wrong.  



There were enormous amount of art works in the museum. Each section had a theme of art such as for Filipino painters, sculptures, modern arts, etc., and every room was well air-conditioned.  If you ask the museum stuffs about the art, they would explain you in details.  I was amazed by their massive knowledge about the art and history.  I always can not help admiring people who know a lot about arts and history, since I simply enjoy arts and history things but can’t explain it precisely.



In the museums (We also went to The Museum of Filipino People), my teacher's friend volunteered to be my private photographer and took so many pictures for me. It was amazing that over 180 pictures were taken for one day, and those pictures became my priceless souvenir.



I tend to feel timid about speaking English and always afraid of making mistakes.  I still remember the words of my teacher and his friend which impressed me: “Basic English is more important to communicate with people. Not only Americans speak English. Most people in the world speak English as a second language and they usually use Basic English. So it is not necessary to sound like a native speaker when speaking English.”   And I assumed next words would be “Don’t be afraid of making mistakes and just talk a lot.”   

 
I am a bit careless since I was a child, loosing  something important or forgetting things what I was going to do (I hope no one calls it amnesia.) And at the end of the tour at The Museum of Filipino People, it happened. I could not find my baggage claim tag anywhere.  It was obvious that I lost it while walking around the museum. I felt sorry for my tour company that we had to wait for a while to get my bag back.  The museum staff insisted that they needed to make it sure that the bag was really mine.  It did not take a long time but seemed to last forever… And then I heard a mutter coming from my teacher's friend, "It is close but still far.” which was the exact same feeling I had felt for the whole day... not only for my bag.

As I was writing this post, I suddenly remembered some Japanese words “Ichi go Ichi e (一期一会) which describes a cultural concept often linked with famed tea master Sen no Rikyu.  I have not had any experience of Japanese tea ceremony, but I have heard that it is said like this: We would see each other sometime and may have a great time again, but it would not be the exact same moment as this one we are having now. This moment is for this time only and never comes around again, one chance in a lifetime. So, you should give them your best tea service that you can offer now. It is not the matter to be perfect but it is important to remember “This encounter is such a precious one.”

In the beginning of this post, I said that meeting people is my favorite part of travel.  I really enjoyed all of the meetings during this trip that is for sure.  Then I asked myself, “Did I talk to them enough to express how much I enjoyed that day?”  It is obvious that I had failed.  Somehow I got lost and could not find what to do.  Thinking back that day, the moment I spent with them was a singular and decisive event.  I should keep this in my mind that "Each moment I share with people could be special."  I'm telling to myself now...