As the season moves from summer to autumn, the time in the evening at which the sun begins to fall below the horizon gradually becomes earlier here in my place. We are now in the middle of autumn. By the time I leave my office after finishing mountains of paper work, everything is wrapped with the dark of the night. I have missed watching the sunset for many weeks now.
A promenade with a shallow stream and a small cabin is nearby my office. This tiny cabin is for passerby to take a short break while they stroll along the promenade. For some reason it has become a place of relaxation for cats for quite a long time now. I do not know where the cats spend during daytime and nighttime, but they are there spending their evening time under the roof of the tiny cabin. There are some sweet people who bring food for those cats in the evening, and they seem to know exactly where they can have their dinner. Cats are clever creature indeed.
Some collogues of mine say that they don’t feel safe to play with those cats because it is uncertain if the cats are healthy, still I cannot help stopping by to check how they are doing while I am on my way home. I even do not know whether those cats are strays or not, at least they look neat and cute to me: just my personal guessing, I assume that they might be a family, maybe a mother and kids.
Most of the cats, especially kittens, are very cautious. I would like to be near them and feel their vital warmth, but they usually run away and hide in the bushes when I try to approach them. And then, the kittens give me a suspicious look as if throwing a question, “Are you going to hurt us?” I wonder that they are afraid of being hurt by human beings by instinct, or just don’t like me. The answer is in the dusk. I have not succeeded in being friends with the cats so far. Though, I love to see them during my evening stroll along the promenade. They give me a moment of tranquility in the dark of autumn.




