Spring has come around. The wind blows tenderly and cherry trees are now blooming again. It seems to have no difference from usual spring, but is it really the same?
As you know, on March 11 of this year, we experienced one of the biggest earthquakes and tsunami which caused a series of serious disasters in the north-east of Japan. Fortunately, my family and I did not suffer any serious damage this time because the epicenter was far from my place. Also, we were not hit by the tsunami since we live in an inland area.
However, we lost electricity for nearly 24 hours after the earthquake. I spent that night with candle lights to light up my room. Those candle lights would be romantic if it was not in such situation. I felt uneasy and had time on my hands since the lights were not bright enough even for reading a book. So, I just sat on the sofa and looked at the candle lights thinking what I should do what if the electricity would not come back to our lives. I guess all of us depend on the electricity too much. Almost everything relies on electric power. When we got back the electricity, I felt so relieved that a part of my daily life is back. Having lights and heat made from electric power is beneficial and indispensable, but it doesn’t naturally exist. After that, I have become conserving with electric consumption as much as I can.
At the same time, I realized how much I depend on the Internet. I had lost Internet connection for a week after the earthquake. It was like being alone on an isolated island. I had been desperate to get in touch with my online friends. Of course, I have friends in real life, but friends whom I connect through the Internet have already become precious to me. They sent me messages worrying and asking if I had gotten serious problems caused by the earthquake that made my heart warm so much. My life wouldn’t be the same without them.
Aside from the problem of electricity and Internet connection, we were also in shortage of food, some daily supplies, oil and so on, for a couple of weeks as a consequence of the earthquake. Factories were destroyed, roads cracked up, and the distribution structure was in failure. I had not experienced such a situation that we could not buy things in supermarkets even though we had enough money to buy it. We tend to think that things are always there without a doubt, but someone produces daily supplies or foods, someone transports those products, and someone sells it: most of us are just a consumer. Once that system collapse, we become so helpless.
On March 11, winter was about to leave from Tohoku area, but the disaster brought us another severe situation. It will take time completely to recover from the damages especially in the regions where the worst tsunami washed the whole town away. Time went by and spring came around, and then things seem to be getting back to normal little by little, though there are still thousands of evacuees in the devastated areas. The loss caused by the earthquake was enormous; nevertheless people start to hold their heads up and try to restore their lives. Tomorrow comes, rain or shine. I guess humans are stronger than we could ever imagine.
Cherry trees will bloom perfectly in a couple of days from now and please us as usual. Maybe there is not much difference between this one and the one last year. Though we will also see the pale pink petals in the same park next year, looking at the blossoms, I talk to myself; “Don’t think things are just there for us. Nothing in this world should be taken for granted. Everything is precious.”