I was expecting to have a mild winter this year, but it turns out a severe one with an extreme amount of snow. It’s still in the middle of January. We have two more months of winter here in my place, and I’m wondering if I can survive this harsh winter.
The lowest temperature sometimes reaches to negative 10 degrees. We haven’t had positive degrees for nearly three weeks. Snow has kept falling. And now, everything is literally wrapped in white.
Last two weekends, the weather was cruel enough to discourage me to go out. I wouldn’t like to go anywhere, not even for New Year’s sales in shopping malls, and just stayed at home. It seemed like I have been in hibernation. Indeed, I’d love to hibernate during the whole winter, if it could be possible.
Despite the bitter weather, I had an opportunity to go to the park last weekend. I think it was a miracle for me. The park is famous for cherry blossom festival in spring. I took a walk in the park for about one hour. Snow fell occasionally, and so, it was not a perfect day for strolling, but at least, the temperature was reasonable. After experiencing negative 10 degrees, I didn’t feel too cold to be outside under the temperature of negative 2 degrees.
The park was tranquil as if every sound in it was absorbed by snow. Needless to say, everything; the castle, a moat surrounding the castle, cherry trees along the moat was covered with snow. There was no outstanding color except the red of the bridge near the castle. And I was momentarily under the illusion that I was a part of a black-and-white painting.
I saw two middle-aged women near the castle. Judging from their accent, I guessed they were tourists from southern part of Japan. They chatted with each other and admired the loveliness of snow. “Lovely?” I wondered how many people around here think that snow is beautiful. Citizens in this area are already getting sick and tired of the thick snow. And I’m one of them who hopes to get rid of snow and wants spring to come as soon as possible. However, no matter how much I wish to put the end to winter, there is no way to stop snowing until the proper time comes; no way but accept the reality.
Walking through the park, surprisingly, I enjoyed the air, the lights and even the snow. The air was crispy but didn't bring sullenness into my heart. Everything was standing still in silence while the sunlight was sparkling gleefully on the snow. And then, I decided to simply enjoy the whole scene of winter. I felt so serene…