Pages

November 22, 2010

A Dreamy Sunset

I was strolling along the bay side and didn't have any special destination to reach, just walked vacantly.  It was quiet.  Since it was Monday evening, maybe, people were too busy with their matters to pay attention to the familiar surrounds. Still there were some people who were taking a walk as chatting with friends or family.  And some others were sitting on the bench on the side walk, who looked like thinking something deeply, or maybe they were simply enjoying the mild breeze on their faces.



The sky was covered by the grayish clouds after the scowl in the afternoon.  They were stretching hands over the ocean, and partially concealed the image of the sun, but the sun didn’t lose its sparkle at all.  And every things there seemed to be wrapped up tenderly with the blessing of the light.

At the moment, there is nothing to obstruct the streak of the light, just small waves are flirting with it.

I was just dreaming being in a cradle of the waves.


The sun had been sinking towards the horizon and the reflection of the light had kept crawling on the ocean extending its shining rays to the bay side.    And the scene suddenly reminded of paints of Turner (Joseph Mallord William Turner (1775-1851), an English Romantic landscape painter) who is one of my favorite, perhaps because I felt something in common between the rays of the sun in his paints and the one on the bay, something like tender hopes, I suppose. 


Behind the clouds, the sun seemed to try to paint a picture making the clouds as a part of a canvas carefully putting watercolors on it one by one with different size of paintbrushes.  The ocean had gotten the same color with the reflection from them.  The deeper the sun went into the horizon, the richer the color of the seascape became.  And then, it gradually changed its color from grayish blue to orange or rather gold, and I could do nothing but just look at the masterpiece upon the bay. 

By the time the sun completely sank into the horizon, the bay was melt into pitch-dark of the night, as if getting away from the bustle of the city. 


I don’t remember how long I had stayed at the bay area. When looking back at the city side, the lights of cars, buildings and monuments clearly stood there. And that was the time I suddenly remembered that I was in Manila.  Listening to car horns in the street, I went back to the center of the city where people actually live their lives.