"There were many folks in your life, and every time you came to the crossroad, you chose one of the paths. If you had chosen the other path, your life wouldn’t have been the same as you have now."
You might differ on that I agree with you all the time, but there is no space that I could disagree with you on this matter.
My first crossroad was at the age of five. When my parents decided to be separated from each other, there were two paths; to go with mom or to go with dad. I was just a little kid, so I followed what my dad decided, which was to go with him. I haven’t though it was my choice, and if I insisted to go with mom, things would have been so different.
Next one was when I was seven year old. My dad got remarried and didn’t want me to go with him this time. Again, I didn’t object to his decision and remained at his mom’s house (means at my grandma's). It was like being carried away by the current of the times.
When thinking about this, I always thought my life was set in a certain direction by someone else not me, and wished to have decided it by myself. However, I became to think that I was wrong. Not defying someone or something could be a kind of choice. Looking back, I don't think there were people who forced me to decide something along with their wills. I might have chosen this way by means of not objecting someone’s suggestions; that could be a passive decision.
My childhood wasn’t an outstanding success, just one of ordinary lives, but at least it was possible for me to choose schools where I wanted to study. Whether I could succeed in it or not was just another story.
I studied medical technology in college, but just right after my first semester, I realized that I was in a wrong place. No sense of science at all… It was the biggest mistake I’ve ever made in my life. I really regretted it, but there was a side effect.
If my major at college hadn’t been medical technology, I wouldn’t have met my senior coworker who inspired me to study English. We worked at the same laboratory in the hospital. When I heard her speaking English, I envied her and wanted to speak it like her. It sounded so cool. Then I started studying English.
If I could have spoken English well enough to communicate with people from the beginning, I might not have decided to keep studying, and wouldn’t have any interests in visiting foreign countries, either.
If my English skill had never improved at all, I would have stopped studying it, pitying myself not to have a sense of language.
If I had stopped studying English, I would have never met people who became good friends of mine. I’m glad I didn’t stop studying English which makes my monotonous life more colorful, joyful, and enriched, that's for sure.
I just hope that most of my decision wouldn't be wrong after all.
