It has kept snowing day after another for over a
month. The snow has lain thick on the ground, which makes hard to determine the
boundary between roads and fields. Everything has been buried in white. The sun
seldom comes out. The gray of snow clouds seems to be the only color I can see
here and now. By the time when it became February, we already have the record
breaking heavy snow this winter caused by a bomb cyclone.
| Only white and gray: The actual color I see everyday in winter. |
“How
could I be induced by anything related to snow?” I thought in my mind as usual after
my routine work of clearing the snow in the yard. Actually, I had never imagined myself going somewhere for other white walls until I watched a TV news about the
snow festival.
The TV news said an annual snow festival had been
held this week at Hirosaki Park in Hirosaki City, Aomori Prefecture. I do not
remember whether I have been there before. Maybe not. It was cold outside
enough for me. The temperature was around -3 degrees. I had pondered for a
while whether I should go or not. Again, it was so cold. But at least it was
not snowing, and the TV news about the snow festival somehow sounded
interesting. So I decided to get out of my warm and cozy room to see how the
snow festival was like.
| "Take me to the festival." |
This snow festival is a miniature version of that in Sapporo City, Hokkaido: the most famous and attractive snow festival for tourists. Our small snow festival has held in every February since 1977. It is said that there are about 150 snow lanterns and miniature-sized Kamakura (an arched roof snow hut). Hirosaki Park is famous for cherry blossoms, so it always has many tourists every spring. Apparently, the snows less appeal to tourists than cherry blossoms do. I saw fewer people visiting the park this time.
| Afternoon sunshine at Hirosaki Park. |
| A snow lantern standing in peace. |
Going along the path, I found big snow walls which also had Nebuta pictures on the surface. Those pictures were used on real Nebuta floats in previous summer’s Nebuta festival: the nighttime festival in Hirosaki. Now in winter, these pictures colored the whole white scene vivid and reminded us that summer will come around again, maybe not soon but surely. Such a vibrant works of art!
When passing through the snow walls, I met
cute snowmen with colorful face expressions. Some were smiling while others
expressed various emotions: anger, confusion, surprise, wonder, sadness and so
on. The sign beside the snowmen said they were made by some kindergarten
children. How lovely! I could not help smiling at these charming snowmen. Such an innocent art!
Walking about the park, I was wondering why there were children on a plastic snow sled pulled by their father. Because the child refuses to walk through the park? Was there any new trend for children in the park?
The answer came into my sight when I entered
the main area of the festival. There was a big playground slide made of snow.
Children were enjoying sliding down the slope with their sleds or used car tire
tubes. While watching those children, I recalled the days of my childhood
playing in the snow. The time when I still had feeling for snow.
And
then, I finally found this year’s main snow sculpture. It was a statue of a half sized
church called United Church of Christ in Japan Hirosaki Church. I was amazed by the fact that the exterior was pretty much like the real one.
| The snow sculpture of a Church. |
If you want to look about the real version,
it is located just 5 minutes of walk from the park. And here is a picture of the spring version of the church.
| The church with cherry blossoms. |
When it was getting dark, the festival staff
started to light up the snow lanterns one by one. The castle was also about to
be lit up. I wanted to stay there as long as I could enjoy the night show
performed by lights and snow. It must have been an amazingly dreamy experience,
But I decided to leave there before the night completely fell on the park. It was
too cold for me to remain outside without my gloves.
| The sunset behind the moat covered with snow. |
In reality, there was no entertainment for me
during the winter, and I tended to stay at home yearning for spring. Snow had
blinded me with its whiteness, though I should have been sighted
by its pure splendor instead. If I open my heart, there will be always
something pleasurable even in the boundless white. Remembering the snowman
winked at me, I think that I would love to be amused by this lovely festival
next winter.